Anna Brown



Anna Brown
Chimacum High School
4-H Stewardship Program Member
2013 Spring Season Work Crew
Two Year’s in Stewardship Program
Camp Ground Maintenance at Seal Rock-
On March 30th, our work crew for Spring 2013 had returned to Seal Rock for some unfinished business concerning campground maintaining. We spent a good chunk of time raking and spoofing up the campgrounds, making sure branches and pathways were clear and safe to walk on. Having over 20 different sized campgrounds and just a bit of walking to get to each one, really made me and my crewmates work hard, all the way to the last hour of cleaning. For the whole day, the guys and girls had seemed to branch off and go in their own groups, like they knew who they wanted to work with the whole time they were there. It seemed like no one wanted to get to know some one new, and even though they all worked hard and finished the job, it reminded me of high school, with the different clicks and social groups.
For the whole time at Seal Rock, every one showed their best and even though some groups lacked the effort skills of cleaning a walk way correctly, they made up for it by working extra hard on other things.
 Elk Habitat Enhancement With Kurt Aluzas-
The date was April 6th, It was raining on and off and though the sun was shining, a breeze was traceable, this day the work crew was working on building homes for animals, making snags, and removing old debris from the site. We all worked very hard on this project, rotating each job we had to give each other a change to try something new. Some of us used Saw’s, Girdles, and even our own hands in this job site. Although scraps and minor cuts were found after this workday, it just showed how hard we had worked. A small group lead by Kurt Aluzas, hiked far into the trees and up hill’s to take care of some out of reach problems such as removing branches and some more Girdling.  It was a job well done, and even know getting back was troubling and some what confusing, it was fun none the less.
Trail Work With Grey Wolf Trail builders Group-
April 13th, We hiked far and worked on cleaning out leaves from drainage ditches, while removing branches and trees from the path way. With feet hurting and cloth’s being all wet, we powered through the day and even know the trail we worked on lead us to a very beautiful waterfall, every one just wanted to leave and get back the van. All day, with the help of the Grey Wolf Trail Volunteers, we were able to reach our destination and do a great job with cleaning that job site. There was mud and water every where on this day, and not surprisingly one of my crew members had fallen into the mud and gotten her pants all dirty. I also found out that day on the hike back that every once has a different walking speed in our group, and although I was one of the last people back, I enjoyed the scenery and the job well done from our group.
Quilcene watershed clean-up with Jennifer Fujii-
On the date of April 20th, Our work group returned to the watershed’s and spilt up into different groups, so I can only tell you my experience from the small group I was in. High up above the clouds, my crewmates and I worked on cleaning out culverts, removing rocks from the road and finding garbage. Although it wasn’t sunny up there, it was not raining, only what my friend called a ‘Zombie Fog’ was hanging about where we worked. Finding many interesting things, such as a doll’s ballerina shoe among other stuff, my group was very energetic and happy to work.
Weed Removal at Seal Rock-
It was May now, the 11th to be exact, And my work mates had just gotten news we will be returning to Seal Rock for the last time, even know we had thought March 30th was our last day. The group this time was more organized and I felt that we made more of an effort to branch out and work with new people. Working with the Saw’s, which always seemed to fall into the male gender’s hands, we cut trees and removed more debris so that the campers in Seal Rock could have more of a view. I think we worked very hard this time around and a lot of us had thorn scratches to show for it. We pulled out many invasive species and cleared out tall trees. 
Brinnon watershead clean-up with Marc McHenry-
May 18th with another watershed clean up day…that I do not correctly remember. But I know we worked hard.
Invasive Weed Removal on Highway 101 at Quilcene
Still May, the 25th and our last work day! We spent it cleaning up around the ranger station, pulling out scotch broom. This last day working with the Stewardship conservation program was so much fun, I doubt I’ll forget it any time soon. I now know how strong people in my work group are, and it was nice when I had to give in and ask one of my other crew mates to help or to just completely pull out a scotch broom for me. We work so hard on this day, knowing it was our last, and we were able to make not just 10 but around 15 piles of scotch broom forest service. It was so fun working with every one, and we all did our best, I remember every one congratulating each other for the efforts and great jobs we did. It was a day like no other and I was happy to work with every one for that last time.
WORK DAYS:
March 30 – Campground Maintenance at Seal Rock
April 6   – Elk Habitat enhancement with Kurt Aluzas
April 13 –Trail work with Grey Wolf Trail builders group
April 20 – Quilcene watershed clean-up with Jennifer Fujii
May 11 – Weed Removal at Seal Rock
May 18 – Brinnon watershed clean-up with Marc McHenry
May 25 – Invasive Weed Removal on Highway 101- Quilcene